Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Marquee of Tivoli

Sometimes I feel like I’m sitting in a time warp! *sci-fi* And it usually happens while I’m inside an old familiar building… where memory engrams from my first life (AKA childhood/adolescence) are hanging around like so many framed lithographs in a gallery display…. invisible to everyone else, yet poised for my private viewing. *wistful*

And wouldn’t you know it, the Tivoli Theatre in Downers Grove, IL (where hubby and I attended a choral concert Sunday afternoon) is just one of those places. Here is a magnificent venue that was built in 1928 – to show “talkies” – and it was one of the first theatres in the country to do it! Yeah, it’s been rehabbed and restored several times… still maintains the charming French Renaissance style… and operates with state-of-the-art technical operations for sound acoustics, stage lighting, digital 3D for top-rate movie shows… and even high-tech hand dryers in the restrooms! *fancy-shmancy*

My first boyfriend and I (teens without wheels) used to walk the two miles from my family’s house… following alongside the Burlington Northern Railroad tracks… to the Tivoli (quite the matinee movie buffs of yore!) Can’t tell you how many movies we ended up seeing over the course of our year or so of “going steady” – until his dad got transferred (to Honolulu, thank you very much!) Anyway, I had a lot of fun and by the way, “Hawaii BFF” and I are still friends! *awww* But what I didn’t realize… until going back there recently… was just how crystal clear those very old memories would reappear… regaling my cognizance with an exclusive show (Laurie’s World!) And what totally cues the virtual reruns with the most clarity is the distinctive smell combination of freshly popped movie popcorn and “eau de historic building” – a direct hit to my brain’s limbic system (that’s the part concerned with instinct and mood) – the sense of smell is powerful indeed! *reminisce*

So here we sit, in the theatre, being thoroughly entertained by fantastic musicians who are (unbeknownst to them) creating new bona fide memories for hubby and me. Life is kind of like a stage, I guess, and we’re all performing our hearts out… well, when we’re not entertaining little sideshows in our heads!

Have a fabulous week! I’ll be back here Monday (or Tuesday)

~peace~

1 comment: