Monday, March 1, 2010

Grandma & Grandpa

Who’d of thought that being a grandma would energize me? *rolls eyes* The thing about becoming a grandparent is that I had no control over when (or if) it would happen – a stark contrast to my well planned out and prepared for parenthood (even had baby names picked out before my sons were born!)

So there we were: hubby, his two teenage daughters, and me… settling into our new home/neighborhood/school together… when son number two announces his wedding engagement and subsequent plan to adopt his bride’s two year old son from a previous relationship! *whoa* Weren’t we busy enough already? Um, that would be a yes! *grins* But since my ultimate parenting goal was to raise independent, law abiding citizens, who are productive members of society (and in this case – mission accomplished) what could I say? Wait a sec… you know me, I say stuff… I mean what could I do? If I had my druthers, becoming a mother-in-law/adoptive-grandma would have been scheduled in somewhere between our daughters’ graduations from high school and college… or when I felt more used to wearing so many hats… whichever came first!

Anyway, exactly one month to the day from closing on our house, we were attending the civil wedding ceremony that initiated our grandparenthood. And what an endearing rite it was – complete with the most adorable two-year old towheaded boy! We had previously met our new soon-to-be progeny, and it was love at first sight from the moment we peered into one another’s crystal blue eyes… an amazing and energizing bond was established… just in time for the newly married groom to leave for USAF Basic Training two weeks later!

Okay. Good thing their apartment, our house, and her mother’s condo were all in close proximity… because the official orders for my son to report for a one-year tour of duty in South Korea came before their first Christmas together as a family… but after their positive EPT result! Yes, my first biological grandson was on his way, and I was totally stoked. Still am. When I held him just hours after he was born, I felt an incredible sense of cosmic maternal legacy and spiritual energy streaming through me. Being a grandparent is the coolest feeling… all the joy, none of the direct responsibility! *happy dance*

The hardest part is living far apart, and not being able to spend time together. After Korea, there was deployment in Iraq, and then they were transferred to a base several states away. Of course modern technology helps (thank you Skype!) But whenever we get the opportunity to be present with the boys, that is exactly what we do – we totally focus our attention on bona fide interactions with them. Yeah, keeping up – they’re now ages 8 and 4½ is exhausting, but the funny thing is that we don’t feel it until after our times together (hello delayed onset muscle soreness!) *giggles*

And now after having re-upped for five more years, our son and his family will be transferred to a neighboring state. Next week we’ll be babysitting our grandsons, while their parents go out house hunting (can hardly wait!) I’ll be back here in two weeks on Monday.

Have a fabulous two weeks ☺

~peace~

1 comment:

  1. I cannot send emails to you...your box cannot accept emails. I say you thanks..I got your book...Leticia Pontoni.

    ReplyDelete